Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Can Some Contraceptives Induce an Abortion?

Because I believe life begins at conception I cannot, in good conscience, support the use of any hormonal means of birth control.

"I feel chemical contraceptives have the potential to harm an embryo. And I decided based on moral and ethical grounds that I could no longer prescribe them." -Mary Martin, MD, Ob/Gyn, Midwest City, OK

At the risk of offending potential readers, I would like to begin by saying that I began this blog to share by heart. My honest thoughts and beliefs and I do not plan on hiding my beliefs or “sugar coating” them for fear of “stepping on toes”. However, I will say that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I believe this with great fervency. I pray that one’s opinions are founded on truth and research, but I do understand that there are different thoughts and feelings on the topic and I want you to understand that I do not judge you for your decision on the matter. But the following excerpt on contraceptives is one that has become of great passion to me as I believe that many young girls and women are not being properly educated on the issue.

During my research on hormonal contraceptives, I was surprised to learn that this method of birth control CAN induce an abortion. I myself have been on "the pill" and I asked very direct questions to my health care provider about this possibility. I remember her assuring me that this would not happen as this is not how the pill is designed to work. However, upon further study, I have discovered that yes, this may not be how the pill and other hormonal methods of birth control are designed to work, but if the two primary methods of defense do not prevent conception (1.) inhibiting the release of a fertile ovum 2. Increasing cervical mucus), then the "fall back" comes into play. This third line of defense is to prevent an already fertilized egg from attaching to the uterine lining which is then simply discarded during the woman's next menstrual cycle. In some cases, these hormones may even dislodge an implanted embryo!

This information is difficult to locate. Many sources try and deny that this is a possible scenario. Yet, with diligent research, I have found multiple sources that support these findings and I encourage you to do your own research on the matter. Please take the time to research your birth control and any chemical that you put into your body for that matter. Not only for your health and safety, but also for the health and well being of a potential baby.

Below are some quotes from physicians on the post-fertilization effects of the pill:
"After reading [about post-fertilization effects] in several other books and papers, I realized I could no longer justify prescribing the Pill. I think most women feel life begins at fertilization. When they find out about the post-fertilization effect, they're surprised and some even rethink their decision." Cynthia Jones-Nosacek, MD, Family Physician, Milwaukee, WI

"We've known for a long time that birth control pills are abortifacients. Now it's finally catching on." Karen Brauer, M.S. R.Ph., Community Pharmacist, Lawrenceburg, IN

"I found out in medical school that they may prevent fertilized eggs from implanting, and I decided then that I wasn't ever going to prescribe them." JB Stanford, MD, University of Utah
(Quotations taken from: Post-Fertilization Mechanisms: What to Know About Hormonal Methods. http://www.contracept.org/postfertilization.php)

“According to the authoritative medical textbook, Contraceptive Technology, to make an informed choice, concerned women must be notified about the mechanism of action. Women need to know that "all regular hormonal contraceptives (the pill, implant, injectable) and emergency contraceptive pills," may prevent pregnancy by "inhibiting implantation of a fertilized egg." (F Stewart, J Trussell, PFA Van Look, "Emergency Contraception," Ch 12, In Hatcher et al., Contraceptive Technology, 18th ed, Ardent Media, 2004, p. 285.)

“The main way in which these forms of contraception {hormonal} are designed to work is by suppressing ovulation. The extra hormones also work to thicken your cervical mucus thereby creating a hostile environment for sperm. Both of these methods help to prevent fertilization {I’m ok with that part…but I struggle with the following…) If the other two methods fail and an egg IS FERTILIZED, then the Pill may work to thin the uterine lining thereby blocking the implantation of the fertilized egg” (FAQs about Hormonal Birth Control. 2009. www.epigee.org/guide/medfaq.html)

The same is true for the IUD device:
“How does it work? The copper IUD interferes with fertilization by keeping sperm away from the egg. If fertilization occurs, it will prevent the embryo from attaching to the uterus. The copper IUD also slowly releases the metal in the cervix which inactivates the sperm. The hormonal one works in the same way and also prevents the lining of the uterus from thickening, which makes it difficult for a fertilized egg to become implanted there.” (Women’s Health. 1999. Consumer Health Interactive. http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/topic13096)

“The IUD may cause a low-grade infection in the uterus that prevents the fertilized egg from growing. The IUD may dislodge the fertilized egg or in some other way keep it from implanting and growing” (Family Planning Associates. Deciding About Birth Control. 2002. http://www.fpamg.net/gynservicesbirthcontrol.html)

Because I believe life begins at conception, I believe anything that would interfere with preventing a fertilized egg to implant or dislodging an already implanted egg is morally wrong and does in fact INDUCE ABORTION.

I do believe, as discussed in a previous post, that contraceptives and family planning are morally permissible. But, I also believe that there are some parameters that must be met when choosing a form of birth control.
Choose a contraception based on the following:
1.) ALL human life is sacred (Psalm 139)
2.) Human life was made in the image of the Creator (Genesis 1:26)
3.) Human life begins at conception (Psalm 139:13-16)
4.) We are responsible to protect human life (Exodus 20:13)
5.) Contraception must be determined by each individual couple and must be based on Scripture and God’s guidance alone and not by worldly standards (Romans 12:1-2)

No comments:

Post a Comment